Porter’s Five Forces Analysis of Aldi
|Headquarters||Essen, Germany and Batavia, Illinois (Aldi USA)|
|CEOs||Jason Hart (Aldi USA)|
|Profit||US$ 5.84 billion, FY End August 28,2022|
|Competitors||Lidl,Walmart,Tesco, Amazon Inc, Woolworths Limited,|
Headquartered in Essen,Germany Aldi is one of the largest world retailer with 100 years of serving tradition. It was founded by two brothers Karl and Theo officially launched in 1945 after operating as family business since 1913 in Essen-Schonnebeck. The Aldi Group offers services in nine European countries including Belgium, Denmark, Germany, France, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and Spain with over 86000 employees. Aldi ranked 16th by Fortune in the category of Best Workplaces in Retail.
Aldi is operating divisionally from Germany (Aldi North and Aldi South),United Kingdom and United States. Only across USA Aldi is operating through 1600 stores and present in 35 states serving over 40 million customers monthly.
Porter’s Five Forces Analysis of Aldi
Professor Micheal E. Porter defined Porter’s Five Forces Analysis in 1979, at Harvard Business School.
It is a most widely used tool by business managers and decisions makers to determine the company’s competitive position reference to its Industry for better strategizing the companies’ operations for making higher profits andless exposure to competition.
Aldi Rivalry among Existing Competitors
- Aldi Operations: Aldi offersgrocery, fresh food, consumerproducts, personalcare, seasonal products and electronic items. Aldi is operating through 4 major divisions and reporting according including Aldi Europe, Aldi UK, Aldi USA and Aldi Australia.
Aldi gave a record sales of 134 billion USD with a profit of 5.84 billion USD in Year 2021.The company has a record number of 2,150 store in United States and while 1,980 stores in Germany in Year 2022.
- Aldi’s Private Labelling (Aldi and Walmart): Aldi placed it’s self as low budget store especially with a 90% above private labeling in comparison of Walmart which is only doing 38% of private labelling. Private labelling reduce the prices by 50% in comparison with other manufacturers. Aldi gave tough competition through private labelling across Europe and USA both.
- Walmart and Aldi : Walmart experienced a growth of 2.3% compared to previous year with a record sales of 568 USD billion with a brand value of 111.9 billion in Year 2022, being world’s largest retailer, declared by Statista. Walmart has 10,593 stores and warehouses in 24 countries. Till 2005 Walmart was in loss with 92 stores in Germany and in 2006 Walmart left Germany with a 1 billion USD loss.
- Lidl (Aldi and Lidl): Lidl gave a record sales of 103.5 billion USDwith a growth rate of 24% compared to previous year,in Year 2021.Lidl is present in 30 countries also among the major retail stores in Germany. Lidl also experienced a highest growth rate in visits in its USA storeswhich is 35.7% in April,2021 compared to previous year.
Aldi and Lidl both consist 13% of the total UK market share.
- Tesco (Aldi and Tesco): gave a record sales of 56 billion USD with a brand value of 9.91 billion in 2021-2022 and having 354000 employees globally in Year 2022.Tesco has 4,752 stores globally including franchise stores also. Tesco offers grocery to general merchandise and consumer goods. Tesco is the most valuable brand in UK and most 16th most valuable brand globally in Year 2021.
Tesco and Aldi has so close competition in UK that Tesco website puts a Aldi Price Match ticket also on products. This also show a price rivalry in UK specially.
Aldi Threat of New Entrants
- Competitive Pricing, Unique Preposition via Private Labelling:Aldi having roots in Germany spreaded globally including Europe, UK, North America and Australia. Aldi specialized in unique prepositioning of competitive pricing with low margins, which are backed by efficient supply chain and private labelling with 100 Years of serving track record. The concept of hard-discounts developed right after World War II.
- High Capital Investment &Efficient Supply Chain: For any new entrant competing Aldi with such competitive pricing strategy needs a lot of capital investment even existing market players are unable to compete Aldi due to its unique positioning and efficient Supply Chain.
Aldi Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Strong Supplier Network and Supplier Industry Influencer: As long term established brand Aldi has strong supplier network specially due to it’s large private labelling structures so Aldi is supplier industry influencer. Moreover Aldi provides a strict code of conduct and quality standards policy for it’s suppliers to follow for quality maintenance. Even suppliers are contractually bound to follow it.
- Threat of Forward Integration: The threat of forward integration is lowest in case of Aldi as it needs a large capital investment with extensive supply chain facilities, already suppliers are price and terms take from Aldi so the supplier Industry is influenced by Aldi.
Aldi Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Low Switching Cost – Customers are Price Centered: In Aldi’s case the switching cost is very low and customers are also prices focused, the retail industry is having a price war so other discount stores keep offering loyalty schemes, memberships, and discount cards also so there is a continuous pressure on Aldi to take more cost saving measures.
- Customer Satisfaction:Customer satisfaction is also one of important factor which is influencing the buyer’s decision. Aldi has 78% brand awareness with a 29% of usage and 86 % of brand loyaltyonly in USA. In Comparison to Lidl which has only 25% brand awareness in USA only.
Aldi Threat of Substitute Products or Services
- Identical Products:The Aldi group offers the same retail products which other retailers are offering and as the switching cost is low so customers can switch to other stores, but the pricing range and brand image Aldi offers is highly competitive.
- Current Economic Impact (COVID-19 Economic Impact,Ukraine War, and US Recession)Due to current tight economic scenario such brands like Aldi will become more popular in these difficult times due to competitive pricing strategy.
- Statista (March, 14 2022).Net sales and growth rate of Aldi Group worldwide from 2016 to 2026 (in billion U.S. dollars) | Statista. [online] .Availableat Statista
- Aldi, About Aldi North, Over 100 Years of Merchant Tradition, Available at Aldi
- Aldi, A unique success story, Available at Aldi
- Fortune,(August 2,2021) Best Workplaces in Retail. Available at Fortune
- Forbes, Aldi, Company Profile. Available at Forbes
- Harvard Business Review| Store, (April 23,2018) The Aldi Brand: Private-Label Success in Australia. Available at Harvard Business Review
- Harvard Business Review (December 2009) Don’t Be Undersold! Available at Harvard Business Review
- Harvard Business Review (September 6,2018)| Competitive Strategy| Competitive Strategy, Why U.S. Grocery Chains Need More (and Better) Store-Brand Products. Available at Harvard Business Review
- Statista (November 9, 2022).Estimated net sales of Lidl worldwide from 2016 to 2026 (in billion U.S. dollars) | Statista. [online] .Availableat Statista
- Statista (November 4, 2022).Annual growth in sales of Lidl in the United States from 2019 to 2021 (in billion U.S. dollars) | Statista. [online] .Availableat Statista
- Statista (December 13, 2022). Aldi brand awareness, usage, popularity, loyalty, and buzz among grocery store customers in the United States in 2022.Statista. [online] .Availableat Statista
- Statista (December 13, 2022). Lidl brand awareness, usage, popularity, loyalty, and buzz among grocery store customers in the United States in 2022.Statista. [online] .Availableat Statista
- Aldi, Supplier Information, Available at Aldi
- Aldi, Supply Chain Standards, Available at Aldi
- Statista (September 19, 2022). Number of Aldi Süd stores worldwide in 2022, by country.Statista. [online] .AvailableatStatista
- Statista (December 22, 2022).Grocery stores: Lidl shoppers in Germany.Statista. [online] .AvailableatStatista.
- Statista (November 18, 2022).Year-over-year growth in monthly visits to Lidl in the United States between April 2021 and March 2022.Statista. [online] .Available at Statista
- CAPX, Aldi, Lidl and the beauty of competitive capitalism (March 6,2019) Available at CAPX
- Walmart and Aldi: Two retail giants in Germany (2005), available at Walmart and Aldi
- Better Marketing (November 22,2019),Why Walmart Failed in Germany Available at. Better Marketing
- Tesco , Aldi Price Match ,Available at Tesco
- Statista (July 27, 2022).Tesco group revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015-2022Statista. [online] Available at .Statista
- Statista (July 27, 2022).Brand value of Tesco worldwide from 2018 to 2022 (in billion U.S. dollars)Statista. [online] Available atStatista
- Statista (July 27, 2022).Tesco number of stores worldwide from 2008 to 2022 (in billion U.S. dollars)Statista. [online] Available atStatista
- Statista (Oct 10,2022) Tesco PLC –Statistics and Facts – Statista. [online] Available atStatista